Friday, July 9, 2010

"If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On..."

That thought crossed my mind this week when I was out walking and "bee bopping" to the great tunes on my iPod! There is something about music that makes us feel so good! I guess it can make us feel bad too if it's depressing music but, my point is, that music has such power over our emotions and is one of those things in life we take for granted and probably don't listen to and/or enjoy often enough.
Music can also bookmark defining moments of our life and, just by hearing a certain song, you can be transported back in time. First kiss, first dance, best friend, graduation, your wedding, a funeral....
I love walking to music! It makes the time fly by and I find myself picking up the pace and, sometimes, even doing a little two-step down the sidewalk! Even here, at the store, we just got some new Canton speakers in and OMG! I close my eyes and can "see" the performers right in front of me and hear every instrument! It gives me a whole new appreciation for music that's for sure!

I just heard an announcement that April Wine is coming to Estevan in November and that brought a smile to my face as I started running through those tunes in my head. Ah, the memories from "Tonight is a Wonderful Night to Fall in Love" and "Rock n' Roll is a Vicious Game"....Those of you who were teenagers in the 70's will know what I'm talking about...nudge, nudge. And remember "The Eagles"? "SuperTramp"? "CCR"? "Bob Seger"? "BTO"? THE BEE GEES!!?

I think that, just like putting good nutrition into our bodies for optimum health, we should remember to use music to "feed" our soul. Listen to it; feel it; absorb it and let it take you back in time or cause you to dance like no one is watching.

On that note...I gotta go and download some of those great songs from my "youth" onto my iPod!

Until next week....rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment