Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Go Inside and Listen

How many of us are actually "aware" when we're eating of how WHAT we're eating may be affecting us? Certain types of foods work better for one person than for another depending on our unique metabolic type. Even when we think we're eating a healthy diet - the good old "meat & potatoes" that we were raised on - it may not be the best fuel for our particular needs. That's why holistic nutritionists don't usually follow the "Food Guides" - these guides are very general and, quite often, are completely wrong for some metabolic types.

I've been changing the way I eat over the past several months and it's been a real eye-opener. I've always been drawn to starchy foods like bread, pasta, potatoes and now I'm much more conscious of what's going into my mouth, how my body uses it and why my body needs it so, while I still eat those starchy foods, I do so very rarely and in much smaller portions. I find I feel better when I eat more salads, vegetables and fruits and, as someone who never used to eat breakfast, I make sure I always have a smoothie in the morning with protein powder, fruits and plain yogurt. I don't have the highs and lows during the day that I used to have - where I'd be starving by lunch and then tired and sluggish after lunch. What I find so interesting now, is that instead of just "eating to eat", I now think about what I've already eaten and what else my body might need to get the proper balance of nutrients for the day. And, as I'm learning in my nutritional course, that balance can make all the difference between being healthy and being chronically ill. People really do have the power to be healthier and happier if they just start to pay attention to what their body is telling them. If you are constantly tired, achey, depressed, get headaches often, have high blood pressure or have an inflammatory ailment like fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue your body is sending you messages that you should listen to. By all means, a visit to your doctor for a checkup is suggested but, while you're waiting to get in to see the doc, try changing the way you eat - even little changes could positively affect how you're feeling. I suggest printing out the Daily Food Plan:
http://mercola.fileburst.com/nt/pdf/LEARNING_TO_LISTEN_TO_YOUR_BODY2.pdf
and fill it out for a few days. You may be surprised to see a pattern emerging as you track what you're eating and how you feel after you eat. Again, it's all about being more self-aware.

If you want to find out what metabolic "type" you are, take the following test. Pretty interesting.
It's FREE to take, you just have to subscribe to the Mercola newsletter (also free!).

http://nutritionaltyping.mercola.com/

Of course, as added "insurance" that I'm getting all of the required vitamins and minerals I need I always take my ForeverGreen products - they just make everything better!
http://seawellness.myforevergreen.org/CAN_Products.html



Until next time, take care!

Mary-Lou

"Big opportunities to help others seldom come,
but small ones surround us every day."

No comments:

Post a Comment