Friday, June 11, 2010

The "Magic" of Nutrition

I just received my books and course material for my Holistic Nutritionist course and am SO EXCITED to get started! Nutrition is such a fascinating science because virtually every system in our body is effected by the "fuel" we put into it. It's becoming more and more apparent that even with the billions of dollars that governments put into health care our health isn't getting better. In fact, we are the sickest generation in history with childhood obesity and Type 2 Diabetes reaching epidemic levels. It's also been proven that things like ADHD, fibromyalgia and chronic fatique are linked to deficiencies in nutrition.

I truly believe we are experiencing a shift in our thinking, though. It seems that everyone I talk to is much more interested in "preventative" measures and the holistic approach to their wellness. It's so gratifying to talk to young people and realize that they are aware of and willing to take measures to feel better, naturally. They are going to the gym, being treated by massage therapists, attending yoga classes and watching what they eat. People my age are starting to realize that prescription drugs aren't always the best or only treatment for some of their health issues. I believe that prescription drugs have their place but, in many cases, they have led to increasing some of the problems we're currently experiencing like drug-resistant strains of bacteria and the emergence of "super-bugs". Prescriptions are generally meant to treat the symptoms not the cause so you may "feel" better but the underlying condition may still be present and might actually get worse.
Personally, I'm finding that it's easier to prevent health issues by eating healthier and being more aware of what's going into me than to have to address existing conditions. I'm looking forward to learning so much more about the "magic" of nutrition as it relates to our cellular function and will share my findings with you over the next few months. Part of my course has me completing several case studies as well so anyone interested in being "studied", let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment